Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My love/hate relationship with running

I recently committed to running my fourth half marathon in May. Yes, fourth. This proves only one thing: that you could have considered me certifiably insane at least four times in my life.
I am one of those crazies down there. See me?
I am taking on this challenge with one of my besties, Holly over at RIS. This will be our third halfsie together, and usually around mile 10 we start screaming to each other "Why, WHY, did we do this???" But we always make it through!

When I say that I have a love/hate relationship with running, I mean that in every way. The worst part of running to me is the time between putting my shoes on until about mile 1. The buildup to running SUCKS. I am terrified that I'm not going to make it through. But once I get going, my body remembers "Hey, I like this." And I absolutely LOVE how I feel afterward. I feel accomplished. Healthy. Motivated. I sleep better, eat better, and feel amazing.

After all, running gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't kill their husbands...... They just don't. <--- Ok, that last part was from Legally Blonde, but everything else is true.

So even though I hate running in the cold right now, Holls and I will lace up our tennies and suck it up for the next 12 weeks. Because running is great. And awful. And awesome. And horrible.
And pretty soon I will look like this. Right??? RIGHT?!?!?

2 comments:

  1. RIGHT! We are awesome. Period. And we will probably look like that when we're done. Or at least our version of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey hey hey ladies (aka you & Holly) - my dad is a marathon runner...he actually has run 6/7 fully marathons that I can think of off the top of my head and countless (I do mean countless) other half marathons & fun runs! I greatly admire you both for taking this on. I've seen how hard he had to work and I can only imagine you two are the same way! If you ever want advice about marathons or training let me know and I'd be more than happy to give you his email. And trust me - he will be more than happy to help! He loves helping & talking :) as a forewarning he can be a bit of rambler but ya gotta love him :)Good luck with training!!!!

    ReplyDelete