Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The two most underrated spices you have at home but aren't using

I'm full of random posts lately, but I just have to get this out! There are two spices I've been using religiously over the last few months, and I feel like I need to share the secret.

CINNAMON
I first realized that I was neglecting this beautiful spice when I had a cappuccino a few weeks ago that blew my mind. It was amazing, and I couldn't figure out why. Then, a few days later, I went back to the same place and got the same cappuccino, but it didn't taste the same. Why??? The secret and magical ingredient, cinnamon, was missing!

Of course, now I can't get enough of it. Every coffee product I consume now MUST have cinnamon or it's non-drinkable. I put it on my yogurt or toast in the morning. I like it on cereal. It's fantastic on ice cream. Pretty much anything with the slightest hint of sweetness (or something in need of sweetness) could benefit from a little cinnamon action.

And as if you needed any more convincing arguments, did you know that Cinnamon was actually GOOD for you?? Yup. Studies show that eating just a half teaspoon of cinnamon per day can lower your cholesterol. I put that much on my morning mocha, easy. It can also help prevent arthritis, improve memory, and is a great source of fiber, iron, and calcium.

Try it. I promise I won't say I told you so.
CRUSHED RED PEPPER FLAKES
Bland, Schmand. Your food will taste like Emeril Lagasse made it expressly for you when you add these little guys. This highly underrated spice adds a kick to any food that does not call for cinnamon. Scrambled eggs. Pizza. Pasta. Ground Meat. Chili. Any chicken dish. Soups and stews. The possibilities are endless!

And, eating peppers can temporarily raise your metabolism as much as 23%. Sweet!! I mean, spicy!!?!?

1 comment:

  1. I am a huge fan of both of these spices! I put cinnamon on everything I can! :)

    ReplyDelete