Thursday, July 21, 2011

Happy Birthday to my BFF!

Today shall henceforth be known as "Soul Friend" day.

You've heard term "soulmate" before. This is typically our partner, the one we choose to marry, the one we can't live without, etc.

But a soul friend, you see, is the friend that, just like with your soul mate, you know will ALWAYS be in your life. There's no wondering "Will I still be friends with that person 10 years from now?" No. With this person, you plan family vacations 5 years in advance, because you know without a doubt no matter where life takes you, you will still be friends, and you'll have a kick-ass time on that trip.

To me, that person is my BFF Jess.

We met in college (where some of the most awesome friendships form) when we worked together at the same campus job. For a little while, we rarely worked together, but were always nice to each other and I always thought she was a cool girl. She was also very tall, which made me respect her that much more :)

It wasn't until we were assigned the same Wednesday morning 8:45am to 12:00 pm shift that we realized how much we had in common. Instead of "working" we would walk around the facility and laugh at random stories and talk about how random our lives were. (They still are, BTW).
I also learned very quickly that this was a person I would always get along with. It's rare, but there are people who you just never tire of. I learned this even more during the summer of 2004. I had just broken up with my boyfriend, and was really upset. Jess saw how heartbroken I was and said "Let's take a road trip to DC and visit my family." Just like that. Even though we had barely been friends for a year, she wanted me to relax and forget about my heartbreak. So 2 days later, we were packed in the car, and embarked on one of the best road trips ever. It was exactly what I needed, and it solidified our friendship. I had never laughed so much in my entire life, during a week when I thought I would never be happy again. (Oh how monumental college break-ups seem at the time). To this day we still joke that the whole reason I was with that person was just so that we could take that trip and become best friends. Totally worth it.

Our truest test of friendship?? We lived together our senior year of college, and we LOVED it. Many times, living with a friend can ruin a friendship, but it only made ours that much stronger. We still have countless inside jokes and awesome memories from that time.

One of the things I love most about my BFF is her compassion for the people she cares about. I have been through some tough, tough stuff over the last few years. She is always there, unfailing in her support and advice. She always says the right thing, and is helpful without being overbearing. I feel like I owe her so much for everything she's given me, but I hope I can someday repay her for becoming one of the most important people in my life. (I have already promised her 10% of my winnings once I hit the Super Mega Lotto Jackpot, but I don't think even that would be enough).

Happy Birthday Friend. Here's to the next 28 years of friendship and more! :)

5 comments:

  1. so sweet! hope jess has a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, friend!!!! I am so happy to have you as my "soul friend"!!! Have you noticed, though, that in all of those picture of you and I, I am always positioned to your right? Why is that, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so weird!!!! Maybe those are our good sides? I've never thought about it. We need to mix things up, stat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY, happy birthday, Jess! I loved that tribute to her. I heart her :) And you! Thanks for introducing me to her, because she really is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very sweet :) Happy birthday to your friend!

    new follower here, please stop on by..
    http://penelopeblue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete