Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Can I spend 15 seconds of my life talking about Miley Cyrus?

I remember back in "my day" when Britney Spears was scandalous.

Girlfriend pushed the envelope and had parents everywhere up in arms. 

This performance at the 2000 VMA's was so memorable because, at the time, this is what scandal looked like.

So let me think, I was... um, 16 at the time? And I don't remember thinking "Man, I really want to buy a diamond-studded bra/pantsuit combo and shake provocatively on the street corner."

But it did make me want to do more crunches.

You gotta give pre-crazy Britney credit. She'll never be praised for her impeccable singing voice, but the girl could dance. If you've ever taken a Zumba class, you know talking while doing this much movement is nearly impossible, let alone singing about getting lost in the game, oh baby baybay.

I know I'm way too old for MTV now, but I tuned in to the VMAs to watch the N*Sync reunion (2 minutes of glory right there). And I feel like my eyeballs got violated after watching this:


 Seriously.... what the actual fluck is wrong with Miley Cyrus? 

Her performance scared the ever-loving sh** out of me. I know I'm no spring chicken, but you cannot tell me that sticking your tongue out and grinding on a married man is in ANY WAY attractive. She looked like pure gutter trash that has floated through a sewer and ended up in the bottom of your toilet.

As the mother of two daughters, I am horrified. I know that she is old enough to make her own decisions, but what happened along the way that made her stop and think "Yeah, THIS is a good career decision." I know I can't protect my girls forever, but I would like to think that even though I know they'll make some bad decisions, that they'll never go so astray as to cheapen themselves like this trainwreck.

Ok... that's all I have to say about that.


post signature

post signature

10 comments:

  1. haha yes! I had to google this yesterday after everone was talking about it and yeah, I was embarassed for her. Painful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was shocked...scared..disgusted...ummm just left speechless. I know she's young and trying to find herself and yada yada but dang she's a hot mess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to add that Robin Thicke is a married man, and shouldn't really be grinding up on this barely-legal young woman. Sure, it's all for "the show", but he's also setting a bad example for young men, and his lyrics are pretty rapey... "i know you want it"? She might NOT want it. Also, "making it hurt" or "doing work" puts out a particular type of message to women and men about expectations in the bedroom,whether either person enjoys that behavior or not...

    Sorry for being ranty, but I'm a little interested that he's not getting any flack for his part in the performance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know what was absolutely disgusting? Her mother was in the audience SMILING!!!! I can tell you that I would snatch Boomer off the stage. I don't care how old she was. Britney may have been shocking in her day, but she also put on an amazing iconic performance. Girl could dance her butt off back in the day. Miley as you said simply looked like trash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched it. I have so many conflicting thoughts on it that I don't know where to start. I just feel pity for her, mostly. Clearly she has no self-esteem. I try really hard not to judge people for sins that are different than mine, but sheesh, when you do it THAT publicly and trashily (yeah, that's a word), it's so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was flipping between the VMAs and Breaking Bad and honestly couldn't believe what I saw. My 19 year old brother even was rendered speechless. And seriously Robin Thichke??? Ugh, my eyeballs can never unsee that behavior gross. And whats with the tongue out???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you. I was thinking the whole time about my daughter and how I wouldn't want her to see that. And I'm not about censorship at all, but that was just too much, and downright distasteful, a shame. She'll never be able to come back from that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not agree more.... And.. I miss pre crazy Brittany.

    ReplyDelete