Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Friendsgiving 2013

I moved to Columbus in January 2008 for my perfect job out of grad school. Jon and I were debating on whether we wanted to stay in Ohio or not, and this job sort of solidified things for us. We said it was Columbus, Ohio or not Ohio at all. We loved the city, and how many exciting things were happening in it, and felt like we could start our married life there.

Still, I moved here knowing exactly 3 people. I left my college town and all of my close relationships and BFFs to start a new life in a new city. Jon was finishing grad school, so he couldn't move there until August. My new job ended up being an incredible blessing, because right away I met some amazing co-workers (later dubbed as the "Kids Table") and I felt more and more like Columbus was home.

A few months into my new job, I met this girl. We instantly connected over our mutual love of eating. If that isn't a solid foundation for friendship, I don't know what is. I remember calling Jon and telling him about this awesome girl I met at work, and how isn't it strange when you become good friends with someone after college? Like honestly, think about your best of friends.... how many of those relationships began after college? I feel like, at some point in your mid-20s, your energy at maintaining relationships dwindles, and if you're not already good friends with someone, it's very hard to establish that friendship. Does that make sense to anymore other than me???

Anyway, Holly went to college in Columbus, and her group of college friends was still by and large in the area. One night, she invited me to a networking event so that I could meet some of her friends. We even have photo documentation of that night:

Oh, 24 year old Audra.
Throughout the last 5 years, despite not having attended said college with these girls, I have been indoctrinated into this group of amazing women. These gals have been such a blessing in my life. I am so amazed with the support system they provide to each other, and now, to me. 

For the past few years, we've had a Girls Thanksgiving celebration, and this year, it was at my house. Though my life is anything but boring right now, I love the times I get to share with these gals because I know that whatever mood I'm in, it will instantly be lifted when we're all together.


 Food. Laughter. A cozy fire. Wine. And most importantly, friendship. The perfect way to celebrate.


post signature

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Aww I love this! I'm currently trying to convince my friends to do one of these. I think it would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete