Monday, January 5, 2015

"Veggie Spaghetti" and a 2015 Challenge

I, like probably 30% of the population or more, have committed to eating healthier in the new year.

Once again, I am committing to removing as many added sugars from my diet as possible. It's the way I feel the best, and has had proven results on my health (i.e. my triglycerides dropping by 50 points!)

I recently watched the documentary Fed Upand it only reinforced my feeling that sugar is the devil and it's killing us. 

One thing with eliminating added sugars is that is incredibly difficult to give up processed food. I'm not a big chip/cookie eater, but I LIVE for pasta. I may or may not have eaten an entire box of spaghetti in one setting once. Or twice. Or more than that. I don't keep count. It's embarrassing. Let's just say I can eat a metric ton of spaghetti and not even bat an eyelash (or barf for that matter).

Even when I eat whole wheat pasta, I just cannot eat the recommended portion size. I always go back for a second (or let's be honest, third) bowl. So I knew I had to find a good substitute for pasta, otherwise I'd fail at this. It was through Googling that I found the Veggetti.


This thing may look a little crazy but it was seriously the best $12 I've spent this year. (It's only January 5th, but you get the idea).
I took one large zuchinni, spiraled it out (which was SO easy!)

Threw some garlic and olive oil in a pan. And then added more garlic because garlic is awesome and wards off vampires.

Sauteed the zucchini,  added some sea salt and cracked pepper, and then a generous tablespoon of parmesan cheese.


Note: I am not a food blogger, so this doesn't look that fancy, but 

O

M



I immediately texted my best friend and told her I was never eating pasta again! And then she immediately ordered her own because we are co-dependent and we like to be the same.

While it may be too early to say I'll never eat real pasta again, this zucchini substitute was seriously SOOOOOO good. It completely removed any craving I had for pasta, and I will now be eating it several times a week, without feeling guilty.

Good luck to all those getting started with eating healthy! 2015 is your year!

And seriously, go watch  Fed Up - that's a swift kick to making a good choice.

post signature

post signature

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THIS. It's not the same, but it's a GREAT substitution. Way to go, girl.

    ReplyDelete